Ask the Veterinarian/Turtle

Question
Hello. I have 10 Indian Roofed Turtles. 6 large size (about 3-4 inches long), 2 medium size (about 2 inches) and 2 small size (about 1 inch). I brought them from local pet shop. Now I want to release them in a large local government pond. The pond has green water and there are fishes in that pond. But no one fishes there. If I release them there will ALL of them get food ? Is there a chance that the fishes will eat turtles ? Or which turtles should I release ? All , big ones, medium ones or small ones ? And if any pond's water is black will they get food there too ? Can I release them in a pond where there are no fish ? My dad's returned home and he says we can't keep them anymore plus there's not enough space to keep the big ones. Should I release the big ones only ? because the medium ones are not so big and small ones are very small. I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh and there are no vets or animal rescue centers in my city. One more thing : Big ones are very much afraid of humans , medium ones are also afraid but not so much like them and small ones are not afraid of humans at all. And if the pond is very big won't they get separated from each other ? Please answer all my questions and help me free these animals.

Answer
I don't know anything about these turtles, or your area and whether or releasing them would cause an issue with the local wildlife.

I would contact your local wildlife resource dept- like we have fish and game here in the USA, Bangladesh has some sort of wildlife rescue or dept who can tell you the best place to release these turtles.

You said this was a government pond, so I would contact whomever takes care of this pond and ask them about releasing them.

If all else fails, you could always just surrender them back to the pet store you bought them at.

It is not just illegal to release some turtles into the wild but can cause a huge problem with them over breeding, over feeding and causing many problems for the local wildlife, so please make sure you contact someone to help you first.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT