Ask the Veterinarian/17yr Chih/Mix not eating

Question
QUESTION: Hello, my 17yr old Chih/Mix, Coco has not been eating going on day3 now. He has been to the vet recently, though was eating a little then & lost 1.2lbs since his last check up. He is drinking water & spoke with the vet on phone in which she suggested feeding him anything at this point. I've cooked beef & rice, hot dogs, ham,  even Ensure drink & would take some until a few days ago. He doesn't appear in any pain at all, though has arthritis & won't take his anti-inflammatory chew meds anymore. I'm afraid to put him down, so should just keep him comfortable & let nature takes it's course. I'm so upset seeing him so thin @ about 5lbs now. Please help with some advice please!!

ANSWER: I'm sorry about the delay in my answering Marcy.
I am really sorry about Coco not eating. To be honest with you it sounds like he is ready to leave.

When people ask me what to look for when they are trying to make a decision about putting their pet to sleep. The one thing that I always tell them is that when they stop eating. You can often force them to a point, but a 17 yr old dog is not going to last long with no food intake.

It's understandable that you are upset and yet if you keep in mind that he is with you, and as long as he is comfortable, his passing should be very peaceful.

Going through heroic efforts to make him eat at this point is only going to stress you both out and I wouldn't do that. You might want to ask your vet if you should give him anything to make him comfortable, as dehydration can make them very uncomfortable.

If he is still drinking, that is good as he won't get to dehydrated.

Again I apologize if he has already passed for the lateness of this message. Most of my messages were coming through with eligible writing.

I hope things go smoothly for you both. Just love on him daily.

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your reply Jana! Coco resumed eating a little bit more, which astounded me since I thought his passing would be any time. He is & has been drinking a lot of water which I know is good. I've been putting the arthritis Meds in his mouth for him to swallow, in which I'm not happy doing that, though helps walk much better. I'd rather him pass naturally & with me. And again, doesn't appear in pain, so as not to sound selfish. I've never experienced anything like this before, it's really a lot of time & care I give him & feel so fortunate to do so. I guess then, I should let nature take its course then? Again Jana, thank you for your advice, I greatly appreciate you time & advice!

Answer
Oh Marcy that's great news! I am glad the little guy is rallying but keep a close eye on him. I think what you are doing is perfectly natural and normal.

There are plenty of Hospice veterinarians around now that would agree as well. Letting nature takes its course is all you can do if you are not comfortable with having him euthanized.
I totally get it, but it's a very personal decision that everyone has to make.

I hope you have a long time left with him. Thanks for letting me know he was eating again.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT