You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/Bachelor of Dental surgery for Pets.


Dear Jana

Are there BDS courses available for Pets viz Cats, Dogs, Horses, Rabbits etc and other animals?


I am not sure why you think I know the answer to these questions Prashant. I don't. As I explained in my last answer to you, you should go speak to a local veterinarian near you or a zoo.

Are you planning on going to school to be a vet? Then it is really important that you speak to one.

There are no Bachelor of Dental Surgery degrees that I know of anywhere. Dental procedures are taught to veterinarians and technicians in school and it's part of their training in residencies as  well.

Veterinarians graduate with Doctors of Veterinary Medical Degrees and Technicians can get anything from Associate degrees in Animal Health to Bachelors in Animal Health or Husbandry or they can specialize AFTER they are licensed to Certificates in areas of specialty, such as Emergency Medicine or Equine Medicine or Anesthesiology. Vets can become Board Certified Dental surgeons but that's not a degree.

But I don't know of any BS in Dental surgery.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.