Ask the Veterinarian/Dog Ear Pinna Bleeding after Flushing

Hi, my Westie is prone to ear infections in her left ear.  I flushed her left ear out and everything seemed fine (a little red due to the TrizEDTA) but when I took her out to pee, I saw blood on her ear hair.  I looked and saw fresh blood droplets on her pinna (the curved parts).  Did I wipe it too hard?  I used a cotton ball and gauze to get some brown junk out.  I tried to wipe the blood off but my significant other suggested to leave it alone to not irritate it but there's some blood still on her pinna.  Is this something I should be concerned about and do I need to get the blood off?  Can I still clean her pinna with the TrizEDTA?  Thank you.

The blood is coming from somewhere, so until you determine where it is coming from, it is hard to tell what to do.  You can pack the ear with a cotton ball as a pressure bandage to see if that will get it to quit.  If there is something like a ruptured eardrum causing the blood, you will not be able to do anything at home.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus