Ask the Veterinarian/White bump on dog paw

Question
dog paw
dog paw  
I recently noticed a small white bump next to my dog's back paw pad. He doesn't seem to bother it or be bothered by it. It is a little red near the base of the bump. It looks like a white head, but I don't want to pop or rupture it.

Answer
From the photo it looks like it could be one of 2 things.  If it is soft, it could be a pustule.  If it is hard then it could be a small tumor called a histiocytoma.  Your vet will need to tell you what it is. One way is to put a needle into it and see if it oozes pus.  That would be a pustule.  The other way is to remove it and send it to a pathologist to see what type of tissue it is.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf