Ask the Veterinarian/Blood blisters on my dog

Blood blisters
Blood blisters  

Above surface
Above surface  
Hi my dog was a rescue pup and looks like cross of a pibull and chiwawa. She started developing these blood blister like things that grow under the surface of her skin then come up to surface then she pops them and then they dry up. The blood blisters are about the size of a quarter or larger. Pics attached

Without an examination, I cannot make a diagnosis from the photos on the internet.  You need to have the dog looked at by your vet.  These could be bacterial pustules that have ruptured or they could be deep foreign body reactions to something that poked into the skin (similar to a rose thorn or a sliver of wood) and the skin is reacting to them.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus