Ask the Veterinarian/Cat

Question
Hi. I really hope you can help me.  My cat had a skin condition and he's on Clavamox. Ever since he's been on it his behavior has completely changed.  Loss of appetite, no energy, we got him to drink water. But now he's meowing differently and hides. He looks really depressed. We've already spent a lot of money on him. $700 already. I called them back and they suggested blood work for his thyroid. They just tell me to do one test after another. They suggested an xray.  Would you be able to help me on this? He's almost done with the medicine.

Answer
Hi Shari,

Probably the clavamox has destroyed the normal intestinal microflora.
For the time being,You can supplement,

B complex:
http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/petsupplies/Vitamin-B-Complex-For-Cats

Probiotics:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Mercola-Complete-Probiotics-Pets/dp/B005IW1GOY?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B005IW1GOY&linkCode=xm2&redirect=true&tag=healhand-20

Keep him rehydrated all the time:

Ringer's lactate with 5 percent Dextrose in water and  Pedialyte are suitable for cats.

Please follow your vets advice regarding other tests to be done,so as to rule out underlying diseases,if any.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand