Ask the Veterinarian/Small soft movable bump on cat chin

I have a 6 year old cat that seems to have developed a soft and movable (moves with the skin but is under it) pea sized lump under the skin of his chin. The lump appears to be causing some pain as he does not like it when I try to touch it. He's had acne for the last couple of years and two years ago the acne resulted in a small bump but it was on the skin and not under it like this one. He is an indoor cat but I sometimes take him outside (supervised around the backyard) for a few hours, but no interaction with other animals). The lump is not pigmented or ulcerated, it just looks like normal skin with a mass right underneath. What could this possibly be? Any recommendations? (Hot compress, antibacterial acne solution?)

Thanks for your input.

There is a variety of disease conditions that can show up as a subcutaneous nodule.  You will need a vet to look at it and possibly do a needle aspirate of the lump to see if they can determine the cell type.  Allergies, hormonal problems, infections, foreign bodies, scar tissue and even tumors can show up like that.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus