Ask the Veterinarian/Flea bites on my cat

Question
My cat has these terrible scabes on her bottom tail and neck I have given her a bath and treated her for fleas with topical flea med I put on back of her neck but she is constantly licking scratching and biting she is miserable and I can't afford to take her to vet please help

Answer
flea life cycle
flea life cycle  
You are barely treating the problem of fleas if you are just using a topical. If it came from the store, or Wal Mart, you might as well put water on her neck. Those flea remedies do not work at all anymore.

You need to approach flea prevention as a whole house problem, because that's what it is.
The largest part of of the flea infestation is in your rugs and floors. That's where the larvae and the eggs are.

For every one flea you see on your cat, there are over 100 larvae waiting to spin a cocoon then hatch into an adult flea.

I am including an image of the Flea Pyramid to illustrate this problem.
The first thing you need to do is get your cat to the vet and get some REAL flea control products for her. Baths won't work and like I said, your over the counter stuff is useless.

Get her some Comfortis (a tablet), or a topical like Revolution and Advantage II, which kills the eggs and larvae, which is the most important thing. To knock down the flea growth, you need an IGR, which is an insect growth regulator.

I sold Ovitrol Plus spray to my clients to help with knock down as well. The best thing to do is to use a topical and then spray your floors with an IGR like the Ovitrol Plus.

Here is an article about IGRs that might help explain things:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/parasites/evr_multi_how_do_pest_control_products_elimin

I understand your finances but when we own pets it's our responsibility to make sure they get the medical care that they need.

She will continue to be miserable, itchy and biting herself unless she gets the care she needs.
She could have developed FAD, or Flea Allergy Dermatitis already. They also get a condition called Miliary Eczema, or scabby cat.

I hope this helps.
;You are barely treating the problem of fleas if you are just using a topical. If it came from the store, or Wal Mart, you might as well put water on her neck. Those flea remedies do not work at all anymore.

Please let know if you have any more questions.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT