Assembly of God/The Supreme Being's Name

There are some people who say that Yahweh is the Hebrew name of God, but from my understanding of Scripture, example Isa. 63:16, our Father/Redeemer's name has always existed, as eternal the same as he is eternal.  If this is correct, then his name certainly existed before there were any Hebrews, so the Hebrew people did not name God. Instead, the Supreme Being made his name know to the Hebrews and he also made his name know to non-Hebrews. I realize there is a mistranslating in in most English versions of the Bible for Exodus 6:3 when they translated the Hebrew language as a declarative sentence instead of an interrogatory sentence. In light of the fact in the Hebrew manuscripts the language does not have punctuation marks, word spacing,or injunctions, I can see how such a mistake was made. However, also in light of the fact that Scripture bears witness that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob all invoked the name Yahweh when they built altars to Yahweh and called on the name, Yahweh, it makes sense to me that Yahweh was asking a question to Moses in Exodus 6:3. The NIV has an alternate translation of Ex. 6:3, which flows true to Scriptural evidence as well as His words of Ex. 6:4 connect as material fact.
Ex.6:2-4, (2)"God also said to Moses, 'I am Yahweh. (3) I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as El-shaddai (God Almighty) AND BY MY NAME YAHWEH DID I NOT LET MYSELF BE KNOW TO THEM? (4) I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, where they lived as aliens."

Furthermore, Gen. 4:26 witnesses also that at the time of Enosh, son of Seth, "men began to call on (invoke) the name  Yahweh."

I have two questions. (1) Has the supreme Being's name always existed or did the Hebrew people name him?

(2) Which punctuation do you understand is correct for Exodus 6:3  the declarative sentence or the interrogatory?

Frankly larry I don't have the time to be engaged in detailed discussions with you on this subject. I expect an eternal God has an eternal name and as you say the name predates the hebrews and I really don't get involved  in dissecting verses of the Bible

Assembly of God

Brian Thompson

I am able to discuss the beliefs of the pentacostal movement and place them in context with the Word of God. I am also able to assist those who wish to lead small groups.

I have been a a Christian since 1978 and part of the pentecostal movement since 1987 and have been part of the ministry team in my local church. I also have experience in Church administration and am trained in theophostic ministry. I am author of the book Revival ~ a different perspective

Life Member Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International

Revival ~ a different perspective

life experience