Assembly of God/Please give me you views

Question
Hi Brian

Its me Ray again. Need your views on this scripture.

REVALATION 22:18
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;  19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I take these scriptures as: if anyone adds to this book (the BIBLE) I take it, that's what the book means.

So, why is it that there are so many, many versions of the Bible with so many versions and word changes ?

Will JESUS punish those who have taken away and added words to the Bibles out there.

Thank Brian
GOD bless you and yours.
Ray M.

Answer
Hi Ray

It seems to me we have discussed the issue of different versions of the Bible before.

I don't believe that different versions of the Bible constitute adding to the Word, but I do think deliberately changing the meaning of certain passages to suit your theology as the Jehovah's Witnesses have done might. I see within your questions a certain tendency towards legalism.

Different versions are in fact different translations according to the culture of the time, if you want to be a purist then learn Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek. It is this search for purity that drives Christians to continually check the translation. A number of concepts cannot accurately translated into English because of cultural differences and so you get different translations of certain words. The translation of the Lord's name; YHWH as Yehweh or Jehovah is a case in point. It depends upon what vowel sounds are interpreted and there is no J in ancient alphabets.

From my perspective you have to wonder what part of the Word Jesus was referring to, Most of the Bible was already written at the time of the Revelation to John, so Jesus was saying don't add to this revelation. The word has not been corrupted over the centuries excepting by false prophets such as those who have founded latter day religions such as Islam, LDS or JW. I think you should focus on having a relationship with Jesus and focusing on him. His Word is true and all the things he said will come to pass

regards

Assembly of God

Brian Thompson