Asthma/asthma

Question
QUESTION: I am 23. I live in a small town. I do not have any pets. I am not on any medications. I work in an office building. I was always active until college. I am not overweight. Today I went hiking up a small mountain. My heart was pounding from lack of fitness, and about 20 min. in to the hike I was gasping for air. Suddenly it felt like I was trying to breathe through a straw and when I inhaled it sounded like high pitch noise. My chest felt tight.I also felt like I would throw up. I sat for a while and when I felt better I finished the hike. This only ever happened one other time on another hike a few months ago, but this hike was easier than the last one, but the symptoms were worse. I have never had asthma before and I played sports all through HS. I know you can not diagnose, but does this sound like asthma? Can a person get asthma as an adult?

ANSWER: Hi Katie,
   The symptoms you describe make me lean towards a diagnosis of "vocal cord dysfunction", especially in regards to a) your history, and b) the difficulty on inhaling. If you google the disorder, pick the description from National Jewish Hospital. It gives a great foundation and detail.
I'm on my iPhone, and it won't let me do a cut and paste for some reason.

If I'm correct on the diagnosis, the therapy is non-drug. It is working with a speech pathologist on breathing techniques.  
This condition is predominantly seen in girls starting in their teenage years. Once you've completed the therapy, you're finished. It's not like a long-term illness. It is best to locate a doctor who specializes in allergy/asthma, but has additional training in making this diagnosis.

If you care to come to Chicago, ha ha, I am well acquainted with an outstanding pulmonologist to teaches the subject.

I hope this helps you! If you've any further questions, feel free to get back to me. I apologize for the delay. I did not gets this letter until all experts contacted me directly.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Marc

QUESTION: So where do I start with this? I dont have any clue what type of doctor I need or if I need a referral or how any of this works. How do I know if they know anything about this?

Answer
Hello Katie,

This evaluation should be done by either an allergist or a pulmonologist with training and experience in this disorder. To find a board certified allergist in your area, go to >

http://aaaai.execinc.com/edibo/FindAnAllergist

Specifically ask if they do this type of evaluation, or can refer you to a pulmonologist who does. Unfortunately, the pulmonary organizations do not offer a ZIP code referral reference for locating board certified practitioners.

A referral requirement depends upon the insurance you carry, which may also limit you to whom you may see. If there is an 800 number on your insurance card with a consultation line, they should be able to guide you to a properly trained specialist.

Since you state you really do not have any prior history, a test can be executed called a methacholine challenge. This can be done when normal spirometry (a lung function test) shows no abnormality. If the test is positive, it is an indicator of reactive lung disorder (asthma).

Asthma can develop in adults, and if no prior history, can be due to environmental factors, especially in the workplace or home: mold exposure, solvents (paint shops), dust, flour (like in a bakery), etc.
Allergies may also develop in adulthood which can lead to asthma also.

Let me know how this turns out.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator