Asthma/re: carbon dioxide level & qvar treatment

Question
Hi, My son took a carbon dioxide level test & it showed that his CO levels were higher than normal. The doctor prescribed him Qvar for a month. I am wondering if steriod treatment for kids will help lower his carbon dioxide level?  I didn't think he had ashtma b/c he didn't really have much symptoms but the dr. said that the CO levels could damage his lungs. I am more into  holistic approach to things but I am scared that if I don't give my son teh qvar that he will get damage to his lungs.

Could you let me know your thoughts on qvar/steriod treaments on children who don't exhibit asthma symptoms (he never had an attack). thank you!

Answer
Aerocrine NIOX Device
Aerocrine NIOX Device  
Hi Cecil,

I need you to clarify something...you are stating carbon dioxide. Do you mean exhaled nitrous oxide (eNO)?

Is the image I've attached looked the the device the physician used?

Also, is this by an allergist, or pediatrician?

In addition, did he eat any of the following within 3 hours prior to the exam:
  Vegetables: Beets, broccoli, cabbage, celery, lettuce, spinach, or radishes?
  Meats: bacon, ham, hot dogs,or smoked fish?

These can lead to false positives.

After your response, I should be able to address all your concerns tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator