Asthma/regarding asthama

hi, my mom is 51 years old. she has asthama from 25 years. way back she was 20 yrs old she has got cold and cough might coz of working in acetone related work. at that time she has also got tuberculosis but at that time it was completely cured. later on done many treatment. and now she is taking nebulizer and inhaler faracort 200 ml. and there is pain in left ribs. so my question what precautions should have to take when there is high cough and cold and to live life fully. ? what treatment should she take ?

Hello Prasad,
  First, if this pain is different from that she has had in the past, her physician needs to evaluate the new situation. If, on the other hand, this has already been addressed, then the appropriate course would be a step up in her meds.  That may either be a higher dose, and additional medication added (like Montelukast), or, if she had sinus problems, and as of this point not taking any medication for this, then an appropriate steroid nasal spray, such as budesonide or fluticasone (as two examples),may resolve the problem. Often, if there are nasal issues (runny/stuffy nose, post-nasal drip), this can trigger asthma symptoms, and therefore need to be brought under control.
 Hope this helps. Feel free to get back to me. If further guidance is needed   

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator

I have worked directly with patients as well as caregivers for over 30 years. Have made presentations throughout Illinois educating school nurses as well as the teaching and coaching staff of public schools about asthma, and how they should respond to these students needs. Presented a public education program on asthma through the US Department of Public Health. Specialize in helping guide asthmatic patients to take control of their disease in order to live a near-normal, fully active life.

Practicing pharmacist for 40 years, specializing in asthma and COPD for 12 years. Developed nationwide education to nurses, teachers and athletic coaches regarding asthma and exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, and closer to home. my daughter has asthma, and my son has exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, I serve on the boards and committees of a number of asthma organizations: Sports, Exercise and Fitness Committee of AAAAI, Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine Committee of ACAAI, Sports Medicine Committee of the World Allergy Association. Board of Directors of the Chicago Asthma Consortium, Board of Directors of the Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, as well as the advisory board of a medical education company, Emmi Solutions. Directly involved in the creation of public education programs for asthma, COPD and diabetes.

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Sports Medicine Committee, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine, American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society. World Allergy Association, Chicago Asthma Consortium / Professional Development Committee, Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, and Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago: Development Committee for AE-C prep class, and presenter.

AAAAI PowerPoint on the new guidelines for EIB (Exercise Induced Bronchospasm), AAAAI Powerpoint on Asthma in School Setting for Teachers and Coaches, Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Transition guide for teens with food allergies or asthma going out of the home to live independantly.

BScPharm, RPh, (NAECB Certified asthma educator in 2002), NIPCO Certified Respiratory Care Pharmacist

Emmi Solutions, Chicago Next Level Health, Chicago