Asthma/Would you?

Question
I am 27 years old. By my age would a person definitely know if they have asthma or not? I never had any attacks and never had wheezing. I have had tightness when breathing, but it never hindered my ability to breath. The tightness can be my anxiety issues more than likely. But I digress. As I asked would a person definitely know they have asthma by age 27?

Answer
Hi Dustin,
 The determination of a asthma is made in a physicians office, preferentially an allergist, who would do a complete history is well lung function testing. You are correct that anxiety may cause the tightness that you are feeling. But that, in and of itself, would not be a diagnostic indicator. It would be very helpful for the doctor, if you could note the activity you were doing, or the surroundings you were in, such as someone's home with dogs or cats, or a work environment that may have chemical vapors.
 I suggest after writing down then information, you do make an appointment with allergist to fully evaluate what is happening to you. Then hopefully, you will have the correct answer. With that information, then the doctor can give you guidance on how best to minimize the risk of it occurring.
  Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to get back to me.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator