Asthma/Difficulty breathing

Hi i have been suffering from breathing difficulty for along time especially during sleep.I am using montelukast for 2 years now and i take it before sleeping it has reduced difficulty breathing. If i stop using it for two three days i notice a slight increase in  breathing difficulty which obviously increases if i stop eating it for along time. I also have acidity problem but i have controlled it well but still it happens. Some time after heavy meals or acidity my breathing gets difficult i also have sinusitis which leads to sore throat and for that i use a nasal spray which keeps me good for along time but if i discontinue the symptoms start to reappear and sore throat occurs again and again. i was recently told i might have problem with my vagus nerve which is leading to all this.  what are ur opinions on this

Hello Haris,

The montelukast therapy is inadequate by itself based upon your symptoms. Your physician should step up your asthma therapy,

Regarding the vagus nerve, it runs from the brain, to the heart, esophagus, intestines and rectum. When you get acid reflux (acid washing up into your throat from your stomach, it irritates the lining of the esophagus. This irritation also irritates the vagus nerve which can then trigger airway spasms and closure. Taking an acid blocker like omeprazole on a regular basis, can reduce that risk and side effects. If it occurs infrequently, then taking a fast acting antacid plus famotidine can also quickly help to get over an episode.

I'd speak to your physician about both issues. You should not have night time awakenings more than twice a month if you are under good control, and should wake well rested.

Hope this helps!

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator

I have worked directly with patients as well as caregivers for over 30 years. Have made presentations throughout Illinois educating school nurses as well as the teaching and coaching staff of public schools about asthma, and how they should respond to these students needs. Presented a public education program on asthma through the US Department of Public Health. Specialize in helping guide asthmatic patients to take control of their disease in order to live a near-normal, fully active life.

Practicing pharmacist for 40 years, specializing in asthma and COPD for 12 years. Developed nationwide education to nurses, teachers and athletic coaches regarding asthma and exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, and closer to home. my daughter has asthma, and my son has exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, I serve on the boards and committees of a number of asthma organizations: Sports, Exercise and Fitness Committee of AAAAI, Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine Committee of ACAAI, Sports Medicine Committee of the World Allergy Association. Board of Directors of the Chicago Asthma Consortium, Board of Directors of the Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, as well as the advisory board of a medical education company, Emmi Solutions. Directly involved in the creation of public education programs for asthma, COPD and diabetes.

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Sports Medicine Committee, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine, American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society. World Allergy Association, Chicago Asthma Consortium / Professional Development Committee, Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, and Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago: Development Committee for AE-C prep class, and presenter.

AAAAI PowerPoint on the new guidelines for EIB (Exercise Induced Bronchospasm), AAAAI Powerpoint on Asthma in School Setting for Teachers and Coaches, Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Transition guide for teens with food allergies or asthma going out of the home to live independantly.

BScPharm, RPh, (NAECB Certified asthma educator in 2002), NIPCO Certified Respiratory Care Pharmacist

Emmi Solutions, Chicago Next Level Health, Chicago