Asthma/asthma

Question
QUESTION: Other than making it difficult to breathe does asthma cause any long term problems to your lungs?
My daughter has asthma. Or so says all the tests but she hardly ever needs any medication. Why do the Drs recommend 3 times a week?
Her chest gets tight sometimes and sometimes gets a bad hacking cough that gets better with treatment but why not use the inhaler 'as needed'?

ANSWER: Hi Joyce,
   Ahh, what 3 times a week? Medication? Peak flow testing?
If a medication, which? Also, on the primary page of my back ground, I request information about the patient and environment to better assess what is happening. With that complete, I'm more than happy to explain what's taking place, and how to move forward.

Sincerely,

Marc

QUESTION: Ok she is on a nebulizer treatment, Albuterol 0.83%(percent) The Drs want her to do it 3 times a week. But she doesn't have symptoms that often. If she starts to cough a lot I will make her do a treatment. If she gets chest pains she knows enough to take a treatment on her own.

So: what I need to know is why do the Drs all want her to do it 3 times a week regardless or maybe they don't understand that she doesn't have symptoms that much..

Answer
Joyce, thank you.
 I agree, this doesn't make sense. Treatment in response to cough, wheeze...yes. Low peak flow readings...yes. But giving a treatment 3x/week with a medication that lasts 4 hours??
  I hoping these are not allergists or pulmonologists. Time to find yourself a good allergist!

Back to origin  question...asthma causing long term problem. If poorly controlled, there is a correlation with developing COPD: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. This is irreversible lung damage. Risk greatly reduced by proper treatment and patient education, allowing the patient to get control vs. the patient being controlled.

Hope this helps. I strongly suggest followup exams by lung specialist.

Sincerely,
 Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator