Asthma/Singulair

Question
Marc:
I have a question. I  began allergy shots tow months ago, and doc also started me on Singulair. I don't have asthma. I have been reading some awful side affects of taking Singulair. Is there a REAL reason, why I should be on it? If not, do I need to go off of it slowly or can I just stop taking it, since I haven't been on in long.

Answer
Hi Lori,
  Singulair is not only used in Asthma, but sometimes is of benefit people with allergies also. It has extremely widespread use, and very few people, from my personal experience, have really suffered ill side effects from it. That being said, it does not help everyone, whether from Asthma or from allergies. Is the physician you're seeing a general practitioner, or is the physician an allergist? Also, we were experiencing any side effects from your immunization injections, such as pain or swelling at the injection site? The goal may be to reduce any swelling or inflammation occurring in response to the injections. If this is not the case, ask position what physical was for prescribing this medication. There is no issue whatsoever for just discontinuing the medication. It's nothing to worry about it all.
  Hope this helps you! If you have further questions, please just get right back to me.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator