Asthma/Cat Allergy

Question
Sir, I am a 64 year old female with an allergy to cats.  Diagnosed when I was a child to many animal danders and saliva (as well as numerous other allergies, non-food), I was treated for years with desensitization shots.  Today, I take Zyrtec and have a rescue inhaler.  Went with my heart and not my head, and brought a lost cat into the home and I am paying the price -- having a constant runny nose and increased need to use my inhaler.  Other than giving my precious pet up for adoption, can you offer any advice on how I can live comfortably with my pet?  Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Answer
Hi Kathleen,
 Sorry to tell you this, but getting the cat was not a good move. Cat dander is much more difficult to control than dog dander, and can take up to a year to clear it out of your environment. On multiple levels, as in keeping the cat excluded from your bedroom, generally very difficult, you can head on a downward spiral. Lung function goes down at night, and with the dander in your bedroom, it will intensify the reaction, leading to poor sleep quality, and lower energy levels during the day.
 With that said, you may try getting the nasal spray Nasacort that was a prescription medication until just recently, and using it daily. Your doctor would most likely add a steroid inhaler to reduce the increased lung inflammation, as well as the oral medication montelukast.
  Bottom line, getting that cat is like holding your hand above the burner on your oven. ,You are only hurting yourself.

Sorry, I know how important pet companionship can be at this stage of life, but there are dogs with less allergy creating dander, such as Soft Coated Wheaton Terriers, Poodles, and a few others, that may be more suitable.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator