Asthma/ques about copd

Question
QUESTION: Hi have ques about copd. Would u be able tonhelpnme. My mom is 67 and was diagnosed for cops. My ques is there are So manybremedies to takevso not sure which ones r best.what is best way to reduce phlegm in my chest? Also which multi vitamin is best for her to take? She hasn't been taking it recently with all her other meds she us on...plscadvise thanks

ANSWER: Hi Cari,
   Is your mother being seen by a lung specialist (pulmonologist)?  Does she smoke? Is she on any medications at present, and not just for her lungs, but also things like blood pressure, diabetes, female hormones, urinary issues? Does she have medical insurance?
  Unless your mom doesn't eat well, there generally is no reason to take vitamins, unless she has been shown to have a need based upon lab tests.

Once your get back to me with this information, I'll be in a better position to guide you.

Sincerely,

Marc

QUESTION: No she is not being seen by pulmnologist. Also she does have medicare and suppninsurance. She takes verapamil for high blood pressure.and med for cholesterol avorstatin. She stopped smoking over avyr ago whuchbisbgreat. She has good days but others she gets very tired and sometimes sweats at night. She tries to get out almost everyday to do some exercise even some walkj g but sometimes she vets a crash of tiredness. What is best multi vitamin and do u also know anything about red yeast rice Is it is a good substitute for avorstatin? Pls reply as soon as u can. Also have u heard about Himalayan salt tgerapyvif it is good for copd?

Answer
Hi Cari,
  Your mom really needs to be properly evaluated by a Pulmonologist to discover the degree to which her lungs functioning has been reduced. For example, a typical 55 year old, non-smoker (not exposed to second-hand smoke either), generally has lost 10-20% of the breathing capacity they had at the age of 25, when the lungs are fully developed. So, some loss is a normal part of aging. How much more loss that has occurred becomes the starting point of which medication would be best to improve breathing, and yet have very little in the way of side effects. The Pulmonologist is in the best position to evaluate this. It may be mild where she may only need to see this doctor once a year, with your moms regular doctor managing her. If worse, then for you mom to have the best breathing, being under the care of the lung doctor would be the best route. Without this information, it would not be  appropriate to recommend a specific therapy.
   As far as vitamins, if you mother frequently works hard at breathing, then there are a number of dietary supplements like Ensure, and Pulmocare that provide not only the appropriate vitamins and minerals, but also the other nutrients the body needs in order to best stay strong.
   Regarding Himalayan Salts, I checked a number of medical research references and came up blank. There are constantly natural products that are promoted as "wonder treatments", but the major health improvement is in the wallet of those who push it. I cannot recommend this without seeing any well designed study with a large number of patients involve.
   Also, while red yeast rice does help cholesterol , it's a nice add on, but not a replacement.

Hope this helps guide you and your mother.

Sincerely,
  Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator