Asthma/Excercise with Asthma

Question
QUESTION: My wife has asthma, allergies, and some degree of COPD. Her asthma is reasonably, but not completely controlled by her current prescriptions  I have encouraged her to exercise, in the hope that it may provide some improvement with her breathing issues.  She seems to think that her condition is what it is, and that exercise will either be counter productive or provide no meaningful improvement. Can you please offer an opinion and/or some guidelines on any exercise regimen that might be good for her.

ANSWER: Hi Dennis!
 Your support of your wife is outstanding! And, you are correct in your desire and thoughts towards improving her quality of life.  I'm just finishing a long, nearly 100 hour week, and want to go into depth on a number of facets, so, I cc'd myself and will sit down Tuesday and provide you with proper direction and resources. Once we set forth goals for her, and the routes to attain them, she will be forever grateful for your persistence in improving her health.
 Watch for the answer Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Sincerely,

Marc

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.  I will look forward to hearing from you by Tuesday or so.

Thanks,
Dennis

Answer
Hi Dennis!
  I'm sorry about the delay. I got called in for emergency coverage For one of my partners who went into premature labor. Twice I try to notify you, but apparently this program does not work well with iPads. It twice failed to save my message to you.
   Anyway, moving forward. The first critical thing to do is to have her evaluated on the proper use of the medications that she is taking. Up to 75% of patients taking the inhaler devices use them incorrectly, and thus, do not get the medication into their lungs. That is always my starting point for therapy evaluation.
    Second point, is evaluation of the environment in which the patient lives. First, it's important to make sure that the household is sensitizer-free (triggers) as much as possible. So issues such as smoking, pets, dust, carpeted versus solid floors, are all contributing factors that may make a difference in the normal health of the patient. Even things like cleaning chemicals, perfumes and colognes, can definitely play a part. The next consideration is your outdoor environment. Where do you live? City,suburban, out in the countryside? This makes a difference when it comes to the types of things in the air they can also worsen asthma and COPD making it more difficult to be in control.
 Respond with the note marked PRIVATE. This program is having serious issues. I'll respond with my personal email after the PRIVATE response.  

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator