Asthma/Symbicort

Question
My husband, who is 64 years old, has asthma and also what has been diagnosed as non allergic rhinitis. He takes Claritin, Azelastine and Symbicort. For the last month he has been experiencing hoarseness. Could this be a side effect of the Symbicort? He has a chronic sinus drip that I believe contributes to his rhinitis. He receives his medical care from the Veterans Administration and is planning to ask for an ENT consult at his next visit, which is in 3 weeks. The consult itself might take another month or so to get at the VA.
We live in southwestern Colorado, have no pets and he is retired.
The hoarseness concerns me and I am ready to make an appointment with a private physician (ENT) rather than wait another 6 weeks or for a VA appointment.
So, do you think it might be the Symbicort? (He has been on it for a year.) And do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you very much. Your services are very much appreciated!

Answer
Hi Christina!
   Yes, it is possible that the Symbicort may be causing this issue. Whenever a steroid inhaler or steroid combo and alar is used, the person should always swish and spit following each treatment. This reduces the likelihood of getting a thrush infection in the mouth and throat. In the early stages of thrush, which is a fungal infection, you can solely have the discomfort. After a bit more time, you would start seeing white spots on the tongue inside of the mouth. This is something I suggest you look at it this point in time. If this is the case, yes, certainly contact your physician. This is not difficult to treat at all. It will resolve quickly with appropriate therapy, which is not very expensive either.
   Let me know what you find once you investigate this further looking into his mouth and throat. Regardless of this outcome, it's very important that after each treatment he takes a glass of water, swishes it around his mouth, and spits it out.
   Sincerely,
       Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator