Asthma/Health care workers with respiratory illnesses

What studies are there that have looked at whether health care workers with chronic under laying respiratory conditions “asthma” are at any greater risk of experiencing more than usual numbers of acute / exacerbations of asthma “ asthmatic bronchitis” occupational induced asthma etc.
In addition to the usual recommendations use inhalers, exercise, lose weight, get a yearly flu vaccination, don’t smoke, manage GERD, address allergies aka post nasal drainage.  Do you have any other new recommendations?
How should I advise a health care worker who is always coughing or on antibiotics.. steroids for bronchitis… despite managing to follow all of the normal guidelines?
Would a change from working in an urgent care setting constantly exposed to ill people to occupational health care be an appropriate career move?

Sorry for the delay.  Have been out of town.

Your first question addresses issues that are outside of the scope of my practice.
   In regards to getting in control and maintaining it, the critical issue is environmental and the awareness of your personal triggers. It's extremely important to assess both home and the work environment to see if there are triggers that may exist that one is unaware of. In spite of all the latest pharmaceuticals, if you don't control your environment, you will have limited success in attaining and maintaining a high quality of life.
  And finally, in response to your employer you who is consistently being sick, is this persons therapy under the guidance of a board certified allergist? In real-world settings, I can't solicit a breakdown between what the guidelines are in the execution by general practitioners. They don't have the time to do the adequate follow through to ensure the patient is reaching the goals that are attainable. In addition to the asthma probability, there maybe issues it's froze and then be in system that is abnormal it would also be determined by the allergist/immunologist. This may play a role in the patient frequently being ill. If this were to prove to be the case, then the environment there presently working in would most likely be considered inappropriate for long-term health of this employee.
   I hope this aids in your decision making process and how to best serve both your employees as well as the workplace that during church of.

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator

I have worked directly with patients as well as caregivers for over 30 years. Have made presentations throughout Illinois educating school nurses as well as the teaching and coaching staff of public schools about asthma, and how they should respond to these students needs. Presented a public education program on asthma through the US Department of Public Health. Specialize in helping guide asthmatic patients to take control of their disease in order to live a near-normal, fully active life.

Practicing pharmacist for 40 years, specializing in asthma and COPD for 12 years. Developed nationwide education to nurses, teachers and athletic coaches regarding asthma and exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, and closer to home. my daughter has asthma, and my son has exercise induced bronchospasm. In addition, I serve on the boards and committees of a number of asthma organizations: Sports, Exercise and Fitness Committee of AAAAI, Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine Committee of ACAAI, Sports Medicine Committee of the World Allergy Association. Board of Directors of the Chicago Asthma Consortium, Board of Directors of the Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, as well as the advisory board of a medical education company, Emmi Solutions. Directly involved in the creation of public education programs for asthma, COPD and diabetes.

American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Sports Medicine Committee, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology / Population Health Committee and Sports Medicine, American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society. World Allergy Association, Chicago Asthma Consortium / Professional Development Committee, Christopher D. Redding Youth Asthma Foundation, and Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago: Development Committee for AE-C prep class, and presenter.

AAAAI PowerPoint on the new guidelines for EIB (Exercise Induced Bronchospasm), AAAAI Powerpoint on Asthma in School Setting for Teachers and Coaches, Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Transition guide for teens with food allergies or asthma going out of the home to live independantly.

BScPharm, RPh, (NAECB Certified asthma educator in 2002), NIPCO Certified Respiratory Care Pharmacist

Emmi Solutions, Chicago Next Level Health, Chicago