Asthma/breathing difficulty

Question
I am 31 years and was using gabapentin 300 mg at night for sleeping trouble due to some nerve pain..after 6 months of its regular use I got sneezing continuously and cough frequently...and at ninth month I got wheezing at times and now i got chest pain and difficulty in breathing..now I stopped the drug...whether all these are side effects due to the drug which I have taken..can it be cured?

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Hello Karthika,
 I apologize for the delayed response.

After checking 3 professional resources regarding the potential for gabapentin being a trigger for these symptoms, it was only mentioned in one of the programs, and a very low percentage of patients. Nasal symptoms, like runny nose was a possibility, which can lead to post-nasal drip and cough, but due to the lack of a clear association, your doctor should do a full workup with:
1) blood tests: looking for elevated eosinophyls or neutrophils,
2) RAST test: looks for allergic issues
3) lung function testing: spirometry with reactivity challenge to see if you are having a reactive airway disorder, such as asthma.

This would b e a starting point.

Some additional things would be helpful to know:
1) besides the nerve pain, do you have any other medical condition for which you are treated?
2) besides the gabapentin, is there any other meds you take on a regular basis?
3) do you smoke, or live/work around others that smoke?
4) what type of work are you employed in, and are you exposed to any chemicals in that workplace?

Let me know about these, and I may be able to guide you further.

Sincerely,

Marc

Asthma

Marc Rubin, RPh Asthma Educator