FRANK wrote at 2011-06-28 21:39:38

Richard wrote at 2011-09-28 23:08:40
Yes i was living in the bronx at the same time and i to saw what you did. I am watching  ancient aliens on tv and just thought of when i saw this. I was about fifteen at the time and have never forgot the sight. I thought i would look for info and ran upon your question.    Richard

Joseph Martinez wrote at 2012-04-16 16:35:01
Im sorry gents , was there an initial image taht you were looking at for reference  just curious as to what you guys are looking at .

John wrote at 2012-06-05 04:59:05
The year sounds right except the time of year sounds wrong.  I believe the one in question that Rick was asking about landed in Quebec.  I actually saw it near Albany NY and Rick's direction was spot on.  My father tried to rush us all into our cellar.  He thought it was nuclear war.  The roar sounded just like a rocket

Tom wrote at 2013-01-07 03:30:11
My wife is from the Bronx and also remembers an incident over the St. Mary's area of the Bronx involving a fireball sometime in the mid-60's.

tdc wrote at 2013-02-17 01:35:37
I remember seeing the same in central NJ.  I vaguely remember the sound but would not place my life on it.  I do remember seeing the news that night and they reported a footbal sized meteor landing in update NY.  It was the thrill of a lifetime and I have never forgotten it.  As you said, it was summer and late afternoon.  It's direction was definitely NNE and was before '66.  I would have been 10 or less at the time and given the viewing window described by Paul, this could not be the same meteorite.

I also would like to know more about it.  Hope we can find out!

JohnJoyNY wrote at 2013-02-17 02:26:05
I saw it in Peekskill, NY.  It was spewing different colors and was "hissing" as it went over.  There was even a Life Magazine picture and article on it but I can't find it online.  It was a once in a lifetime sighting for me.

Douglas Williams wrote at 2013-02-27 07:04:04
I have seen a meteor in the mid sixties when i was a teen with 2 other friends in ridgewood queens new york in early clear afternoon.It sounds like the same sighting as the post here. I heard a poof like a roman candle and then another a few seconds later. With my surprise i then seen a green glowing rock coming down, sparking and throwing off bits of rocks. It looked huge and i though it may hit us. It had a FFFFF sound and took straight off and left a large vapor trail. We called the operator and said we seen a UFO but she said she had reports coming in and it was a confirmed meteor. I been trying to track this down on the web for years. It was the clearest, closest sighting i have ever seen. Nothing on film even comes close. I always wish i had a camera or video to show the world this wonder of space.  

joe041057 wrote at 2013-05-25 01:41:26
This sounds very much like something I saw. I was in Troy NY and it was the mid sixties I was around 8 to 10 years old. I never told anyone what I had seen because I knew they wouldn't believe me. I will keep checking on this site to see if I can learn anything else about where it came down.

randyw wrote at 2013-07-17 22:16:06
I seen a huge fireball back around 65. I've seen a couple but none

like that one. It was evening a group of friends were goofing off under the street light. All of a sudden it just turned to day for several seconds. It was huge going across the eastern horizon. It was heading north and I did not see any break up. I didn't notice any sound from it as it occurred but it may have afterwards. What impressed me was the size and the intensity of the light.  

bill wrote at 2013-11-08 20:32:50
my husband seen a large firer ball in the sky in 1965 on a clear summer day it was heading north very low in the sky he always wondered if anyone else seen it. he seen it in Alton NY when he was 16 years old.

Paul Wagner

Astronomy and telescope making. Have made at least seven telescopes, both refractors and reflectors, and have spent 30 years looking at the nighttime sky.