Astronomy/iridium

Question
Hello,

it's been pointed out that iridium is much more common in meteors than in the Earth's crust. How much more frequent?  Also, do the other planets also contain higher amounts of iridium than the Earth does? Lastly, do comets, asteroids and meteors contain higher levels of radioactive materials(per square metre, obviously) than usually found on Earth per sq m? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Geoff,
After researching iridium on the internet, I didn't know that it was the 2nd densest element
(Osmium is top dog) and one of the least corrosive of the metals... even aqua regia won't touch it.
That being said, I found that the crustal abundance in parts per million (ppm) is stated as
0.0004 whereas the iridium concentration found at the K-T boundary was 100 times more, or I assume 0.04 ppm if my arithmetic is correct.  That's quite a difference, even though the numbers are quite small.  While the entire earth has a higher abundance, it's thought that during the molten stage(s)...most of the dense elements including iridium, sank to the core along with most of the iron and nickel.  And BTW, iridium is not radioactive.
So while I've never made any tests on meteorites, nor have I read about it's abundance in comets and asteroids, I think that comets, being composed of mostly water ice, frozen gases, and dust... contain very little iridium. Asteroids and meteors, probably not a result of ever being molten, probably run at that 0.04 ppm figure as an educated guess, but I don't think anyone really knows with no testing of that nature ever being done.
Nor would I expect much in the radioactive elements in asteroids and comets either due to their low density and gravelly appearance.
I don't know about the other planets and their iridium content.  If they were molten like the Earth early on (~ 4 billion years ago), then the iridium probably migrated to their cores too,
just like the Earth, so one would probably not find much in their crustal regions, except like the Earth, in the meteorite impact basins.  But I don't think the Viking, Mars rovers, or the Russian Venera missions to Venus, ever tested for that element, so we just don't know.
Oh, check out website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_anomaly
Hope this helps,
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA USA

FOLLOW UP:
Since your question involves a single element of the Periodic table (and the radioactivity portion of the question too), perhaps you might want to search out the allexperts.com chemistry and physics departments, as they may be far more knowledgeable than I am about individual elements and their properties and abundances on planet Earth.  (Just like extra-terrestrial life is really more a biology question, and not exclusively an astronomy question.)

Oh, and as far as radioactivity of iridium, see
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091022170822AAQLTN8
therefore most naturally occurring iridium is not radioactive.
tom  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting