Astronomy/star or planet

I was recently in Cobo Mexico and we were having a debate about planet vets star or poss something else... Although, it did remain the same every night there after. We were facing south and looking south east low in the ski until after 10pm mt st time it seemed to be prism like and or reflecting reds blues not the same as a star or planet? Do you know what this is? Mars perhaps?? I know the bright planet is venus that was more due east and next to orion's, this was much lower and more south east.
Thanks for your help.

Without a photo and a star background, to identify the constellations in the vicinity, it's difficult to say but one object we can rule out is Venus - since it's only currently visible in the morning sky.

The most likely remaining object, according to my Cybersky program (adapted to the location of Brownsville, TX, since no foreign locales are available) is Jupiter, which would be at about 35 deg altitude at the time you indicate, and in the E-SE sky.  (Mars would be visible low in the SW sky earlier but not at the time you indicate).

Hope this is some help!

Philip Stahl

I have more than forty years of experience in Astronomy, specifically solar and space physics. My specialties include the physics of solar flares, sunspots, including their effects on Earth and statistics pertaining to sunspot morphology and flare geo-effectiveness.

Astronomy: Worked at university observatory in college, doing astrographic measurements. Developed first ever astronomy curriculum for secondary schools in Caribbean. Gave workshops in astrophysics and astronomical measurements at Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados. M.Phil. degree in Physics/Solar Physics and more than twenty years as researcher with discovery of SID flares. Developed of first ever consistent magnetic arcade model for solar flares incorporating energy dissipation and accumulation. Develop first ever loop solar flare model using double layers and incorporating cavity resonators.

American Astronomical Society (Solar Physics and Dynamical Astronomy divisions), American Mathematical Society, American Geophysical Union.

Solar Physics (journal), The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, The Proceedings of the Meudon Solar Flare Workshop (1986), The Proceedings of the Caribbean Physics Conference (1985). Books: 'Selected Analyses in Solar Flare Plasma Dynamics', 'Physics Notes for Advanced Level'. 'Astronomy and Astrophysics: Notes, Problems and Solutions'.

B.A. Astronomy, M. Phil. Physics

American Astronomical Society Studentship Award (1984), Barbados Government Award for Solar Research (1980), Barbados Astronomical Society Award for Service as Journal Editor (1977-91)

Caribbean Examinations Council, Barbados Astronomical Society, Trinidad & Tobago Astronomical Society.