Astronomy/Comet mass

Question
Thanks for your answer on comets losing mass.
Given  the statement "a comet is the closest that something can be to nothing, and still be something", is the potential damage of a direct impact with Earth due to its velocity?

Answer
Yes, the velocity is the big factor. Recall the kinetic energy equation where KE equals 1/2 times the mass times the velocity SQUARED. Just like a vehicle going 70.7 mph has twice as much energy as a car going only 50 mph - (5000 versus 2500 when you square the velocity... and KE triples at 86.6 mph). Double the velocity to 100 mph and it's 4 times the KE you had at 50 mph.
As far as mass, even though a comet nucleus is a very low density body, a cubic mile of frozen water ice with dust, frozen gases, etc... still has a mass exceeding a little more than 10 Kg!  ;-)  (Picture trying to tow a cubic mile iceberg through the water... not the easiest thing to do.)
Clear Skies,
Tom  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting