Astronomy/colliding galaxies

Question
Tom, I just read your answer to a question about relative movement. I have a related question. From what I understand of the Big Bang theory, all galaxies are moving away from each other and the farther away from us they are, the faster they are moving away.

If this is true, how is it possible for any two galaxies to collide as we know happens? I have heard that our neighbor galaxy, Andromeda, will in the very distant future collide with the Milky Way. So within a local group of galaxies does the "moving away from each other" rule not apply? If so, how is this contradiction possible?

Answer
Hi Clif,
Yes, the Hubble constant of space expanding (about 71 Km per second or about 42 miles per second, PER MEGAPARSEC), is in effect everywhere.  A megaparsec is equal to 3.2 million light years and most galaxy cluster members are within about 3 - 10 million light years of each other.
So gravity in the galactic cluster (and therefore collision closure speed)... easily "over-rides" the Hubble spacial expansion rate at those "very short" distances.  In the case of M-31 and Milky Way, the closure speed is something like 180 miles per second, MINUS the ~40 miles per second of the spacial expansion at a distance of about 2.9 million light years (distance to Andromeda Galaxy).  So this bottom line result equals a closure speed of about 140 miles per second for us and M-31.  And that's why we see many many galaxies in collision as their "closeness" to each other in a galaxy group, their combined massive gravity's, easily over-rides the Hubble spacial expansion rate.  

At least that's true today; since the spacial expansion is accelerating (1998 - a study of Type Ia supernovae), no one knows for sure what the distant future will hold. That's why that instead of a future "Big Crunch" of all matter coming back together, today you read about the future "BIG RIP" as space expands faster and faster and faster... accelerating, and not decelerating. This led to the introduction of anti-gravity "dark energy" in our entire Universe, but that's another story.
Hope this helps,
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting