Astronomy/DOUBLE BARREL TELESCOPES

Question
DOUBLE BARREL TELESCOPE
DOUBLE BARREL TELESCOP  
Hello! I see brass "replicas" of double barrel telescopes everywhere, mounted on wooden tripods. The second, shorter barrel is supposed to be a view finder scope. Problem is, I can find no images or information online re: actual antique double barrel telescopes, or related history. Are there historical telescopes with double barrels, or is this a modern, made up thing to make "replicas" look good? Thanks!

Answer
HI Hans

This is more of a modern affectation than a historic replica.  IN the old days, those telescopes had relatively low powers, and it wasn't hard to find things with the main scope.  SO there was no need for a finder scope on something this small.

But these days the optics are better understood, and a lot of these smaller scopes offer very high magnification (even if you can't use it most of the time.)  And with very high magnification, the field of view gets really small--so tiny that it's hard to see what you are looking at.  

So they add a finder scopes to help you find what you are looking for.

Paul Wagner  

Astronomy

Paul Wagner