My daughter picked up this rock while rock hunting in Lake Havasu, Arizona. It is 3 inches long and 4 3/4 inches around and she found it on the surface. A magnet will not attach itself to it. Could this be a meteorite? It seems rather heavy.

It could be a stony meteorite, but there is no way to tell except having an expert take a look at it. Your best bet would be to inquire at a local university that has a planetary geology department, or at a planetarium that has a display of meteorites, in which case there might be a more or less expert member on the staff.

Its weight doesn't really help. If it were an iron (in which case it would have been attracted to a magnet) it would be very heavy, but most "stones" are no heavier than typical Earth rocks of the same size.

Courtney Seligman

I can answer almost any question about astronomy and related sciences, such as physics and geology. I will not answer questions about astrology and similar pseudo-scientific rubbish.

I have been a professor of astronomy for over 40 years, and am working on an online text/encyclopedia of astronomy, and an online catalog of NGC/IC objects.

Astronomical Journal, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (too long ago to be really relevant, but you could search for Courtney Seligman on Google Scholar)

I received a BA in astronomy and physics and a MA in astronomy, both from UCLA. I was working on my doctoral dissertation when I started teaching, and discovered that I preferred teaching to research.

(too long ago to be relevant, but Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi still keep trying to get me to become a paying member)