Astronomy/Meteorite?

Question
Rock
Rock  
My daughter picked up this rock while rock hunting in Lake Havasu, Arizona. It is 3 inches long and 4 3/4 inches around and she found it on the surface. A magnet will not attach itself to it. Could this be a meteorite? It seems rather heavy.

Answer
It could be a stony meteorite, but there is no way to tell except having an expert take a look at it. Your best bet would be to inquire at a local university that has a planetary geology department, or at a planetarium that has a display of meteorites, in which case there might be a more or less expert member on the staff.

Its weight doesn't really help. If it were an iron (in which case it would have been attracted to a magnet) it would be very heavy, but most "stones" are no heavier than typical Earth rocks of the same size.

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman