Astronomy/What do you think this is??

Question
Rock
Rock  
My daughter picked up this rock while rock hunting in Lake Havasu, Arizona. It is 3 inches long and 4 3/4 inches around and she found it on the surface. A magnet will not attach itself to it. Could this be a meteorite? It seems rather heavy.

Answer
Hello Susan...and thank you for using AllExperts
There's only one way to know for sure whether you're daughter found a meteorite or not and that's to take it to an expert. However, based on the info you've included and the picture, I'd say that it's not a meteorite, especially since it won't stick to a magnet. I'm not a geologist, but to me the fragment looks more like a hunk of simple magma (material ejected or out-flowed from volcanic activity. The "dimples" in the stone probably came from bubbles in the magma when it was still in a semi-liquid state.

Astronomy

Patrick Weiler