Astronomy/Size of the universe

In the news today I hear of a galaxy discovered at a distance from us of 30 billion light years. Straight away I had a problem; how could it have traveled so far in the time available? If the universe is 13.8 billion years old, then even at the speed of light the extent of the universe is at most 13.8 x2 billion light years wide, 27.6 billion light years maximum. And I now see that the universe is considered to be 93 billion years in diameter. How come?

Hello Camlin...and thanks for using AllExperts
I'm afraid you've misread a news report about this newly-discovered galaxy. The distance to it is 13.1-billion light years, not 30-billion. Since the estimated age of the universe is 13.8-billion years you can see that light from that galaxy has had time to reach us. See this news release for more info

Patrick Weiler

I`d be pleased to answer questions about any aspect of astronomy, particularly those related to cosmology, astrophysics, and planetary sciences. I can also provide reliable information on unique topics like dark energy, dark matter, black holes, etc.,.

Teacher, adult after-hours education at local community college, including frequent "star parties." I have my own telescope system, and continue to stay apace of recent developments and emerging theories in the field.

BA, liberal arts with emphasis on sciences. BS, computer technology.