Astronomy/Size of the universe

Question
In the news today I hear of a galaxy discovered at a distance from us of 30 billion light years. Straight away I had a problem; how could it have traveled so far in the time available? If the universe is 13.8 billion years old, then even at the speed of light the extent of the universe is at most 13.8 x2 billion light years wide, 27.6 billion light years maximum. And I now see that the universe is considered to be 93 billion years in diameter. How come?

Answer
Hello Camlin...and thanks for using AllExperts
I'm afraid you've misread a news report about this newly-discovered galaxy. The distance to it is 13.1-billion light years, not 30-billion. Since the estimated age of the universe is 13.8-billion years you can see that light from that galaxy has had time to reach us. See this news release for more info http://news.yahoo.com/astronomers-discover-most-distant-galaxy-yet-213425193.htm

Astronomy

Patrick Weiler