Astronomy/constellation

Question
how many stars are in Ursa Minor? and how many major stars are in Ursa Minor?

Answer
Hi Arian,
Second question first... If by "major stars" you mean those brighter stars that define the outline of the "Little Dipper", there are 7; 4 in the "bowl" and 3 in the handle, the beginning handle star is Polaris, or Alpha Ursae Minoris. (Yes, we use lower case Greek Letter designations for the names of the brighter stars in a constellation (area) followed by the Latin Genitive case (possessive case in English) of the constellation because the constellation "owns" the star.  (Polaris has a third and fourth name also, both nicknames,
the Pole Star or the North Star. And at +2.2 magnitude, it's about the 50th brightest star in our night sky.)
But if by "major stars" you mean naked-eye stars with a typical limiting magnitude of about +6th, then there are about 20 - 30 stars in that area, depending on how good your vision is, and how dark of a night sky you have.... so it varies. Binoculars covering down to +8th or +9th magnitude would reveal hundreds, if not thousands of stars in that area.
Since constellations are simply areas of the sky, no one knows the answer as to "how many total stars" are in Ursa Minor; A small 6 inch mirror telescope would perhaps reveal thousands of stars. But since constellations are simply a specific area of sky (like a state), that's like asking... how many trees are growing right now in the state of Texas?  A large telescope like the twin Keck's in Hawaii would reveal probably millions of stars in that area.
And that would be true of ANY constellation (area of sky) that you choose.  With our unaided eyes, we only see the "whales" among all the fishes out there.
Hope this helps,
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting