Astronomy/Why does the Hill Sphere work?

Question
According to Wikipedia, Hill Sphere is : the volume of space around an object where the gravity of that object dominates over the gravity of a more massive but distant object around which the first object orbits.

True as this may be, it just mathematically supports a phenomenon that has been observed but it does not give reason or logic as to why does this happen in the first place. I mean why should the gravity of a less massive object dominate the gravity of a more massive one?

I wasn't aware of the Hill Sphere until recently when I was trying to visualize the orbits of different celestial bodies. The Hill Sphere comes closest to explaining why the moon orbits the Earth, more than it orbits the Sun and why the Earth orbits the sun, more than it orbits the center of our galaxy. By this logic all celestial bodies within the Gravitational pull of the center of our galaxy should directly be orbiting the center.

My argument is that if the Hill sphere of the Sun is as large as the solar system itself, any object within this sphere should be orbiting the sun. Why was the moon caught into the earth's gravitational pull in the first place when it had a much stronger pull from the sun?

The answer to this would also eventually clarify why the earth orbits around the sun and not the center of the milky way.

Answer
I can't remember whether I sent you an answer, or merely promised to reply when I had time; but it turns out that since my reply was sent as a "reject", I have no way to access it. So I'm afraid you'll have to resubmit your question for me to send you a proper answer. (Sorry about the long delay; but the terminal illness I was dealing with took a long time to resolve and to get over, so I've just started to catch up with things.)

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman