Astronomy/Southern Cross

Question
I will be in Hawaii on the island of Hawaii, and I've been told that in the spring you can see the Southern Cross.  I've checked the moonrise and set tables, and there will be no moon the week I'm there, May 1-7.  I've found that it should rise sometime just before midnight.

I have three questions.

1) What direction should I be looking, is it due South?
2) How many degrees above the sky will it rise?
3) What time will it rise, and what time will it set?

Any help you can give me will help.  I'm not a real star gazer, although I've done some, and I'm really excited about seeing the Southern Cross.

Thanks,
Carl
All Expert in Christian Youth Issues.

Answer
Hello,

This previous answer:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Astronomy-1360/2011/3/Southern-Cross.htm

should help.

The time will be near enough to when you will be there this year. The location (Hawaii) where you will be is also about 1 degree further south than the Maui location (for which the previous answer was given).

Being further south, this means you will be able to see more of the Southern Cross - with the stars indicated in the previous answer at a higher altitude (e.g. 1 deg).

Astronomy

Philip Stahl