Astronomy/Difference of Milky Way Galaxy protogalactic cloud without angular momentum?

Question
How would the development of the Milky Way Galaxy have been different if its original protogalactic cloud had had no angular momentum? Describe how you think our galaxy would look today and explain your reasoning?

Answer
With zero rotation rate, I would surmise that the Milky Way galaxy would have ended up as an old elliptical galaxy like M-84 or M-86 in Virgo, rather than the relatively active barred spiral that we see today.  The primordial dust and gas would either have been used up quickly in early star formation, or it would have just dissipated because of no "spiral density wave" action to create relatively younger and newer Population I stars (like our own sun).
It's the angular momentum (rotation) that gravitationally flattens spiral galaxies out to a disk and subsequent spiral shape. With no spin, I would surmise that it would have ended up with a spherical shape like the two galaxies mentioned above... but that's just my educated guess.
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting