Astronomy/Astronomy

Question
Are sunspots harmful to our skin?

Answer
No. The higher-energy blue, violet and ultraviolet radiation that penetrates our atmosphere and causes tanning, aging skin and eventually pre-cancers can be harmful if not blocked by sufficient clothing or sun-block creams and the like; but the amount of such radiation that reaches the Earth's surface is essentially constant, and is not affected by whether the Sun has any spots on it or not. In fact, somewhat paradoxically, the Sun emits more radiation of all sorts, including the more harmful varieties (though only by a fraction of a percent) when it has no sunspots at all!

There can be some affects on the upper atmosphere, referred to as geomagnetic storms, when a particular sunspot causes a "flare", or a "coronal mass ejection"; and spacecraft that are not "hardened" to resist large variations in the electromagnetic fields caused by such events can be temporarily or partially disabled (hence worries at communication companies and the like if the Sun's "activity" threatens to become greater than normal). But as noted above, this has nothing to do with the effects of sunlight on our skin. So once again, the only thing that affects that is the total amount of solar radiation (which is greater near the Equator than near the Poles, and greater near noon than near sunrise and sunset, and so on), and sunspots do not affect that.

(Concerning the paradoxical change in solar radiation associated with sunspots, there are a number of illustrations and a reasonably adequate discussion of The Sunspot Cycle at http://cseligman.com/text/sun/sunspotcycle.htm )  

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman