Astronomy/Black holes

Are worm holes real? and if they are, what do they do?

Hello Deagan...and thanks for using AllExperts
At this time, worm holes are strictly theoretical, meaning that there's no reason they couldn't exist. However, no such object has ever been observed.

A worm hole could be thought of as a short cut between different locations in space. If you saw the sci-fi movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster, it was a worm hole that she traveled great distances through space. Worm holes would warp the space in which they lie in such a way as to provide a shorter distance between two points. If you take a piece of paper and draw to dots on it, maybe 5 inches apart, then fold the paper so that the dots are directly opposite each other you can see that the distance between them has decreased significantly. Just substitute the dots with worm holes and think of the paper as space and you should have an idea about worm hole theory.

Patrick Weiler

I`d be pleased to answer questions about any aspect of astronomy, particularly those related to cosmology, astrophysics, and planetary sciences. I can also provide reliable information on unique topics like dark energy, dark matter, black holes, etc.,.

Teacher, adult after-hours education at local community college, including frequent "star parties." I have my own telescope system, and continue to stay apace of recent developments and emerging theories in the field.

BA, liberal arts with emphasis on sciences. BS, computer technology.