Astronomy/Inhabitable Places

Question
Mr. Weiler,
  Signs of possible, inhabitable planets are seen all over. For example, doesn't one of Saturn's moons theoretically have an ocean under it's frozen outer shell? Also, I've heard that Titus (I'm very sure it was) resembles what scientists think the Earth used to look like before there was any life on it.
  I guess my actual question is this: By the time the sun dies out or Earth is no longer inhabitable by humans for whatever reason, would it be possible to go live on another planet (or in Saturn's case, moon)? Would we have the resources and technology to live elsewhere when (if) this time comes?
         -Anne

Answer
Hello Anne...and thanks for using AllExperts
There's no doubt that mankind has the ability and resources to develop technologies required to colonize planets and/or moons elsewhere in the Solar System. Beyond that, though, lie questions about how drastically will the Solar System be affected by the sun becoming a red giant star; it will do that in about 4.5-billion years. Following that stage it will shrink down into what's known as a white dwarf. Can life be sustained on worlds orbiting a red giant? Possibly. Can life be sustained on worlds orbiting a white dwarf? Probably not.

In short, there's no single, easy answer to your question.

Astronomy

Patrick Weiler