Astronomy/Inhabitable Places

Mr. Weiler,
  Signs of possible, inhabitable planets are seen all over. For example, doesn't one of Saturn's moons theoretically have an ocean under it's frozen outer shell? Also, I've heard that Titus (I'm very sure it was) resembles what scientists think the Earth used to look like before there was any life on it.
  I guess my actual question is this: By the time the sun dies out or Earth is no longer inhabitable by humans for whatever reason, would it be possible to go live on another planet (or in Saturn's case, moon)? Would we have the resources and technology to live elsewhere when (if) this time comes?

Hello Anne...and thanks for using AllExperts
There's no doubt that mankind has the ability and resources to develop technologies required to colonize planets and/or moons elsewhere in the Solar System. Beyond that, though, lie questions about how drastically will the Solar System be affected by the sun becoming a red giant star; it will do that in about 4.5-billion years. Following that stage it will shrink down into what's known as a white dwarf. Can life be sustained on worlds orbiting a red giant? Possibly. Can life be sustained on worlds orbiting a white dwarf? Probably not.

In short, there's no single, easy answer to your question.

Patrick Weiler

I`d be pleased to answer questions about any aspect of astronomy, particularly those related to cosmology, astrophysics, and planetary sciences. I can also provide reliable information on unique topics like dark energy, dark matter, black holes, etc.,.

Teacher, adult after-hours education at local community college, including frequent "star parties." I have my own telescope system, and continue to stay apace of recent developments and emerging theories in the field.

BA, liberal arts with emphasis on sciences. BS, computer technology.