Astronomy/Matter

Question
Mr. Whiting,
  I've heard that, when the universe was forming, there was a fight between matter and anti-matter for power, and matter had just a single extra molecule (or atom. Something of the sort.). Do you think you could explain more to me on this subject?
         -Anne

Answer
Hi Anne,
Yes, you are very close. Realize that anti-matter is simply protons with a negative charge
(called anti-protons) and electrons with a positive charge (called positrons).
The "fight" was over endurance... (or staying power), not power, as anti-matter and normal matter combined and re-combined as they annihilated each other, releasing still more energy. Once this phase was over, there was just a slight excess of normal matter remaining after all the annihilations were over.  The main reason that our normal matter won "the fight"... it's thought that normal matter is slightly more stable than anti-matter.  Has to do with various spins, clockwise and counter-clockwise... on the normal protons and electrons, (Yes, they all have a spin too)... but I slept through that class. ;-)
Or another theory states that the Big Bang just happened to produce slightly more matter than
anti-matter... we may never know which is the correct theory.
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA  

Astronomy

Tom Whiting