Astronomy/stars

Question
If a star burnt out, at several million light years away, how long would it take for humans to notice.

Answer
Exactly the same number of years as its distance in light years. So, for example, if we see a star supernova in a galaxy four million light years away, we are seeing what actually happened four million years ago.

There is a correction required if the object is so far away that the expansion of the Universe changes the distance between the object and us during the time it takes the light to get here; but for that to make any significant difference the object has to be hundreds of millions of light years away. For distances of mere millions of light years or less, the fact that light covers one light-year in one year (which is how we define a light-year) means that the two numbers (distance in light-years and time in years) are the same.

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman