Hi Tom,  I hope you are doing well.  My question has to do with the universe.  I understand that the universe is not static but is expanding.  Do the scientists have any theories regarding what exists at the physical "end or edge" of the universe?

Thanks so much,

Sorry for the delay Rox, but our computer was out for repairs.
Yes, there are 2 main theories, one is that we are simply expanding into what was the original "Void" that existed prior to the Big Bang. This theory believes that the original
VOID was infinite in all directions at the "beginning".
Another theory is the multiverse concept where we (our Universe) is not alone and we are expanding toward the "edge" of another spherical Universe... this involves branes (membranes)
where our Universe is likened to a single slice of bread in a loaf of bread.
A third concept proposed is that we are all just a "simulation" on a giant "GOD" computer and we all hope "HE" doesn't hit the delete key in the near future!
This idea comes from the fact that our own computers and pictures, when you magnify down to just a couple of pixels, the image gets fuzzier and fuzzier (less and less resolution)...
and the exact same thing happens to matter when you delve down into the quantum level; things become fuzzier and fuzzier as you head down to the Planck length. So maybe, just maybe, matter is just a bunch of computer controlled... pixels.   (just another idea for us to contemplate).
Hope this helps,
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting
Erie, PA USA  

Tom Whiting

Astronomy has been my hobby/pasttime for over 50 years.  Currently own 3 telescopes, the largest of which is a 30 inch Newtonian truss Dob that is portable.I taught Astronomy/Meteorology at the University Level for 13 years before retiring in 1995. Being retired and home most of the time, I am able to answer all questions relatively quickly, unless it's a new moon weekend with good observing conditions.  No astrology questions please, or questions about alleged UFO picture identifications.

Experience: Astronomy has been my hobby and study for over 50 years. We currently now own a 30 inch portable telescope (Updated - Pennsylvania`s largest portable telescope). It can be seen on our website at: and also attend several regional starparties during the year, and have been on 5 total solar eclipse expeditions.

Organizations: President, Erie County Mobile Observers Group for over 15 years.

Publications: Wrote the "Over Erie Skies" newspaper article in our local newspaper for 11 years (1975-86).

Education: Masters Degree- Taught at the University level for 13 years. Retired 20 years -USAF Pilot - KC-135 with 180 combat missions;  Also Eagle Scout, Philmont staff 2 Yrs, Order of Arrow Lodge Chief, Ham Radio (inactive).

Awards: two discoveries: The mini-coathanger asterism in Ursa Minor (the little dipper) And the mini-ladle- another asterism in the bowl of Ursa Minor. Clients: Currently President of the ECMOG as mentioned above.

BS  Metallurgical Engineering Grove City College, PAMaster's Degree, Gannon University, Erie, PA Also retired USAF pilot, 20 years.