Astronomy/Order of creation

Could you please tell me whether the land mass appeared on earth prior to water OR water was there prior to formation of land? Few lines on how the earth is formed after Big Bang, will be helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Best wishes,

The origin of the continents as well as oceans remains a vast area which is still fraught with much conjecture. However, you can get a fairly good idea of what transpired and in what order at this website which also has excellent graphics.

Note the actual formation process for the Earth needed the more massive stars to form first and this was nearly 9 billion years after the Big Bang. It required these heavier metal abundance stars to then explode (via supernovae)  sending their effluent outwards and this then formed the basis of the solar nebula from which the primitive Sun and planets originated. Check the link above then use Google to learn more about the other aspects (e.g. supernovae). Obviously, this topic far exceeds any normal answer that can be provided in a forum such as this!

Philip Stahl

I have more than forty years of experience in Astronomy, specifically solar and space physics. My specialties include the physics of solar flares, sunspots, including their effects on Earth and statistics pertaining to sunspot morphology and flare geo-effectiveness.

Astronomy: Worked at university observatory in college, doing astrographic measurements. Developed first ever astronomy curriculum for secondary schools in Caribbean. Gave workshops in astrophysics and astronomical measurements at Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados. M.Phil. degree in Physics/Solar Physics and more than twenty years as researcher with discovery of SID flares. Developed of first ever consistent magnetic arcade model for solar flares incorporating energy dissipation and accumulation. Develop first ever loop solar flare model using double layers and incorporating cavity resonators.

American Astronomical Society (Solar Physics and Dynamical Astronomy divisions), American Mathematical Society, American Geophysical Union.

Solar Physics (journal), The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, The Proceedings of the Meudon Solar Flare Workshop (1986), The Proceedings of the Caribbean Physics Conference (1985). Books: 'Selected Analyses in Solar Flare Plasma Dynamics', 'Physics Notes for Advanced Level'. 'Astronomy and Astrophysics: Notes, Problems and Solutions'.

B.A. Astronomy, M. Phil. Physics

American Astronomical Society Studentship Award (1984), Barbados Government Award for Solar Research (1980), Barbados Astronomical Society Award for Service as Journal Editor (1977-91)

Caribbean Examinations Council, Barbados Astronomical Society, Trinidad & Tobago Astronomical Society.