Astronomy/Moon Influence

Good day,
I recently asked this question to Patrick Weiler, unfortunately he could not answer the question, Please can you assist.
As the Moon moves away from Earth, at what distance will it no longer play an influence upon the Earth.
Kind regards

Yes, you are indeed correct. The moon is slowly moving away from the Earth (and has been ever since it was formed). There is actually quite some debate on this topic, but I can tell you this. Once the ratio of the moon's distance to the sun and the distance from the moon to the earth becomes less than 0.995, then total eclipses will no longer be possible.

Harry Hayfield

Particular expert in eclipses (both solar and lunar), but able to answer most questions about astronomy or refer to a website that can help

Have been interested in eclipses since August 1999 and hope to see the annular eclipse in Scotland next year