Astronomy/City lights from space

Hello, I was watching a video called All Alone In The Night, which is a timelapse video from the international space station of Earth.  I noticed some of the city light clusters appeared green and was wondering what was causing this.

Hello Louis...and thanks for using AllExperts
The color of light we see is influenced by the gases in the atmosphere through which those lights pass. For example, if there's an abundance of oxygen through which the light passes, a reddish tinge would be seen. The green you mention would be from the light passing through concentrations of nitrogen. Chances are those concentrations of nitrogen result from localized industrial pollution.

Patrick Weiler

I`d be pleased to answer questions about any aspect of astronomy, particularly those related to cosmology, astrophysics, and planetary sciences. I can also provide reliable information on unique topics like dark energy, dark matter, black holes, etc.,.

Teacher, adult after-hours education at local community college, including frequent "star parties." I have my own telescope system, and continue to stay apace of recent developments and emerging theories in the field.

BA, liberal arts with emphasis on sciences. BS, computer technology.