Astronomy/cool temperatures in planet Mercury ?

Question
Dear Prof. Seligman,
  It would be possible, considering the low axial tilt of the planet Mercury (2,1 degrees), that we can get cool temperatures, supportable for human beings, if we put ourselves in a intermediate latitude between the eternal ices of a crater in the planet's north pole ( -189 C) - where it really exists and the sun never comes -, and a area where the sun light begins to reach the planet's soil ( zones of dark and dust) ?
Thank for a answer.
         Bill Plows

Answer
There isn't a latitude where normal temperatures are "moderate". Even at the Pole, if you were in full sunlight you'd quickly heat up to several hundred degrees, as would any rocks tilted so they directly faced the Sun. However, if you were in a shady spot not exposed to full sunlight, but only to heat and light reflected from the surrounding area, you might experience moderate temperatures. I say "might" because it would depend on how much of the surrounding topography was directly facing the Sun, how much was in shade, and how much was in sunlight but at a shallow angle. Some shaded areas might have a lot of sunlight reflecting off the surrounding rocks, and experience relatively high temperatures. Others, such as the insides of deep craters completely shielded from the Sun, might have temperatures far below zero (Celsius). And still others, with an intermediate amount of sunlit regions surrounding them, might have the sort of "earthlike" temperatures you are wondering about. However, it would be more a matter of hunting around for a suitably shaded and yet suitably sunny area than looking for a specific latitude where earthlike temperatures were more or less normal. That wouldn't happen just anywhere, regardless of the latitude.

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman