Astronomy/Einstein-Rosen Bridges and Singularity

Question
Hello,

I've been fascinated with black holes and Einstein-Rosen bridges/wormholes for a long time. However, I have no formal education in physics, so a question has been nagging me for a long time. I hear about singularity and event horizons all the time in black hole research, but never in relation to wormholes. As I understand it, wormholes are two super dense black holes that connect and form a tunnel. If we theorize that we could harness wormholes for travel, are there ideas out there to work around or someone negate the effects of black holes (ie, spaghetificagion)?

Thanks!

Cate

Answer
Hello, and thanks for your question!

Alas, the wormhole concept is a very tricky one and also not fully accepted by many astronomers, at least in the terms you might be considering (i.e. to facilitate space travel). "Theorizing" is ok as far as it goes, but I think you'd probably benefit more by an excellent book written by an expert on black holes and the worm hole concept. That would be the book, 'Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy' by Kip Thorne.

You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Holes-Time-Warps-Commonwealth/dp/0393312763

The book is ideal for an intelligent lay person, who lacks any background in physics, because Thorne basically walks you through each of his proposals and ideas, as well as background concepts - with barely any math. It is, I think, far preferable to me delivering an encapsulated answer that might not address all aspects you want to consider.

If you check the amazon link the book is available used starting from $1.19 - a real bargain. With shipping it's barely more than five bucks. I believe if you are seriously interested in this topic you will profit much more by getting the book and reading it through than any superficial answer- or sequence of such -  I might provide here.  

Astronomy

Philip Stahl