Astronomy/Astronomy, specifically involving Earth to Sun relationships

I understand that if the Earth were to cease revolution around the Sun, it would then be pulled into the Sun as a result of the Sun's gravity. How long would it take (approximately) for the Earth to get close enough to the Sun through this process so that life on Earth would be severely compromised? Also, is there anything that (to your knowledge) could cause the Earth to no longer revolve around the Sun, and if so what? Thank you for your time.

Rather than 're-invent the wheel' as it were, can I point you in the direction of an already fairly comprehensive answer? You can find it here:

As far as what might cause such an unsual phenomenon, I simply can't think of anything. Even the approach of a very massive star - highly unlikely - would not necessarily halt the Earth's revolution although it might affect the rate.

Philip Stahl

I have more than forty years of experience in Astronomy, specifically solar and space physics. My specialties include the physics of solar flares, sunspots, including their effects on Earth and statistics pertaining to sunspot morphology and flare geo-effectiveness.

Astronomy: Worked at university observatory in college, doing astrographic measurements. Developed first ever astronomy curriculum for secondary schools in Caribbean. Gave workshops in astrophysics and astronomical measurements at Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados. M.Phil. degree in Physics/Solar Physics and more than twenty years as researcher with discovery of SID flares. Developed of first ever consistent magnetic arcade model for solar flares incorporating energy dissipation and accumulation. Develop first ever loop solar flare model using double layers and incorporating cavity resonators.

American Astronomical Society (Solar Physics and Dynamical Astronomy divisions), American Mathematical Society, American Geophysical Union.

Solar Physics (journal), The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, The Proceedings of the Meudon Solar Flare Workshop (1986), The Proceedings of the Caribbean Physics Conference (1985). Books: 'Selected Analyses in Solar Flare Plasma Dynamics', 'Physics Notes for Advanced Level'. 'Astronomy and Astrophysics: Notes, Problems and Solutions'.

B.A. Astronomy, M. Phil. Physics

American Astronomical Society Studentship Award (1984), Barbados Government Award for Solar Research (1980), Barbados Astronomical Society Award for Service as Journal Editor (1977-91)

Caribbean Examinations Council, Barbados Astronomical Society, Trinidad & Tobago Astronomical Society.