Astronomy/Laser pointers

I am researching to buy my husband a laser pointer for C'mas. He enjoys pointing out the night sky to our grandkids through the telescope,binoculars or naked eye. This would make it much easier for them to see where he's directing their attention. We attended a star party during the summer and the presenter had one. I cannot find him online anywhere to inquire.
I'm curious after some research to ask if there is a difference and preferred color for a laser as well as what is an appropriate beam strength. He is an avid night sky observer.  Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!  donna

While I myself have not used laser pointers, amateurs I know in the Barbados Astronomical Society have. The applicable types are available from Edmund Scientific Co. You can find a selection of those generally used for astronomy at this link:

Generally, the 'Best buy' version is the one they choose, but I suspect any of them would fit the bill for your particular purpose.

Hope this helps!

Philip Stahl

I have more than forty years of experience in Astronomy, specifically solar and space physics. My specialties include the physics of solar flares, sunspots, including their effects on Earth and statistics pertaining to sunspot morphology and flare geo-effectiveness.

Astronomy: Worked at university observatory in college, doing astrographic measurements. Developed first ever astronomy curriculum for secondary schools in Caribbean. Gave workshops in astrophysics and astronomical measurements at Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados. M.Phil. degree in Physics/Solar Physics and more than twenty years as researcher with discovery of SID flares. Developed of first ever consistent magnetic arcade model for solar flares incorporating energy dissipation and accumulation. Develop first ever loop solar flare model using double layers and incorporating cavity resonators.

American Astronomical Society (Solar Physics and Dynamical Astronomy divisions), American Mathematical Society, American Geophysical Union.

Solar Physics (journal), The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, The Proceedings of the Meudon Solar Flare Workshop (1986), The Proceedings of the Caribbean Physics Conference (1985). Books: 'Selected Analyses in Solar Flare Plasma Dynamics', 'Physics Notes for Advanced Level'. 'Astronomy and Astrophysics: Notes, Problems and Solutions'.

B.A. Astronomy, M. Phil. Physics

American Astronomical Society Studentship Award (1984), Barbados Government Award for Solar Research (1980), Barbados Astronomical Society Award for Service as Journal Editor (1977-91)

Caribbean Examinations Council, Barbados Astronomical Society, Trinidad & Tobago Astronomical Society.